Phone: 519-885-3180

About Us

About Us 2017-03-01T09:00:36+00:00

WCDSB Mission and Vision

Our Mission:

“As disciples of Christ, we educate and nurture hope in all learners to realize their full potential to transform God’s world.”

Our Vision:

“Our Catholic Schools: heart of the community — success for each, a place for all.”

WCDSB Code of Conduct:

The Waterloo Catholic District School Board recognizes the inherent dignity and worth of the individual. All individuals concerned with the school system -trustees, staff, students, parents, visitors to schools –are subject to the following code of conduct; a code of conduct that will be implemented within the Catholic faith life experience of each school community and consistent with the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations, the Safe School’s provisions of the Education Act and Regulations and the constitutional right of Catholic school boards to manage their schools as stated through section 93 of the Constitution Act, 1867. APC 018 Code of Conduct

EQAO Results

Click here to view results.

School Improvement Plan for Student Achievement

SIPSA-St.-Agnes-2016-2017

History

St. Agnes Catholic Elementary School is self-described as the “Little School with the Big Heart.”  Over the 55 years that St. Agnes has been open, that moniker has been well earned.

St Agnes was officially opened in December of 1956.  It was the fourth separate school to be built in Waterloo.  A state of the art, one storey structure, build on a seven acre parcel of land, the original building consisted of six classrooms, a library/storage room, a teacher’s room and a principal’s office.  The enrolment for the 1956-57 school year was 110 students, taught by three teachers, one of whom was the Principal, Sister Constantina, who taught a combined Grades 6, 7, 8 class of 32 students.  Within two years, the school had grown to 142 students and the first graduating class was promoted to high school.  The subdivision in the Northeast end of Waterloo continued to grow rapidly and by 1962 an addition of six more classrooms was added.  Enrolment had ballooned to 308 students.  In 1965, when enrolment had reached 388 students a gym was added to the school.     Over the years, enrolment rose as high as 620 students.    Students from St.  Louis, St. Thomas and St. Michael enrolled at St. Agnes when their respective schools closed and our boundaries changed.  In 1996, when St. Matthew School opened, St. Agnes boundaries changed again. Portables slowly disappeared, and enrolment over the last few years has remained steady at approximately 270 pupils with 29 staff members.

St. Agnes Church was opened in 1969.  The relationship that resulted between school, church and community has been a positive one for all stake holders.  Beginning in 1964, as the neighbourhood grew and the need arose, Sunday Mass was held in St. Agnes School for those people who did not have a car to attend the parish church of St. Louis.   Over the years, St. Agnes School and Church  have shared many landmarks in the lives of her families.  The receiving of first sacraments, school Masses, school and church socials and involvement by the church pastor and pastoral assistant have  created a harmonious and spiritually fulfilling relationship for all.

From the first year St. Agnes School was opened, there have been two directives to which the school has been committed.  The first is academic and athletic excellence, and the second is social justice issues.  For the first few years, St. Agnes raised money for the Red Cross and African Missions.  Throughout the remainder of the century, and into the twenty-first, this blossomed into a commitment to make a difference in both local and global causes, justifying being called “The Little school with the Big Heart.” Awareness of, and fundraising for, third world countries, donations to local charities such as Anselma House, The Light a Tree Campaign by the local Red Cross, a foster child who is supported annually, anti-racism awareness, and candy for children in Haiti have all been donated from the dedicated and aware students of St. Agnes, culminating in the 2010-2011 school year with the building of a school in Kenya through Free the Children.

The halls of St. Agnes have been graced with students who have became local leaders and published authors.  Most importantly, the caring and nurturing community of St. Agnes Catholic Elementary School has prepared her students to become life-long learners and active, socially aware citizens shaping a world in which they can make a difference.