Due to on-going, significant safety concerns for our students, we are making changes to the procedures for student drop off and pick-up in our Bluevale Street parking lot. These changes have been made after considerable and thorough consultation with our staff, school council, school superintendent, school resource officer, and the Waterloo by-law office.
Let me first give a heartfelt thank you to all the parents/guardians who, over the years, have listened to our newsletters, face-to-face conversations, and constant reminders to follow the safety procedures we have put in place in our parking lot for the safety of our students. Unfortunately, there are still parents/guardians who have a complete disregard for these procedures and I cannot risk the safety of our students. This leaves us with no choice but to make the following changes:
Effective Monday, November 13, 2017, the school parking lot will be closed from 2:30 – 4:15 p.m. every day. This means that you will not be permitted by car into the parking lot for pick up at the end of the school day. Drivers will need to be aware of the no parking/no stopping areas around our school. Options for pick up are:
– Walking (remember, if your child is not bussed, they are deemed a close enough distance from the school for walking – less than 1.6 km for grades 4-8 and less than 0.8 km for JK to grade 3). This option also promotes physical activity, and healthy minds and bodies.
– If you need to drive to pick up your child(ren), you may park in the church parking lot and walk to the school.
The school parking lot will remain open in the morning for drop off (since drop off seems to be more staggered). However, we will make the following changes:
– The current pyloned area by the fence will now be considered a “kiss and drop”. That is, you will pull up, drop off your child(ren) without you, yourself getting out of the car. This will still allow for the flow of traffic for cars that are leaving the lot. (see diagram below)
– If you need to get out of your car when dropping off your child, you will need to find a legal parking spot (see diagram below). If there are no legal spots to park, you will have to park at the church and walk your child(ren) to school.
– We are asking you to continue to walk your child(ren) to the gate then remain, if you choose, in the new parent standing area. The new parent standing area will be the area on the sidewalk (by the shed) and this will continue to be sectioned off by pylons.
Please help us to keep our students/your children safe by making sure that the only adults on the actual school yard before, during and at school dismissal are school staff. This allows supervisors to be easily recognized by students who may require assistance and ensures that strangers do not have access to our students.
Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in ensuring that our students are safe.